It’s taking me a long time to tell about the trip to Canada. In the meantime, since that trip there was also a week in Santa Fe with our friends David and Mary Jane, there’s a backlog of photos and I want to talk about current activities.
I have registered for school at FIT, finished the Lion Cups (and am beginning to market them) and am working on two small candy bowls. The whole perspective of metal work has changed from making one piece that I want as a single object into making the model of the piece that I want for reproduction. I even look at jewelry pieces as modular, to use the castings in necklaces and bracelets, as pendants and brooches. The drawings I have made in my sketch books over the past three years are coming to life as pieces of a collection of similar pieces, adaptable to different stones and mechanical connections.
First, photos of the Lion Cups; I made special boxes for them treating them like the treasures they are. The copies are in pure silver with 24 karat gold inside. They weigh just under 5 ounces each.
Here they are in the boxes, paste paper covered and lined with green velvet.
I have also finished another small bowl based on Colman’s Drawing. It’s got a smaller diameter so that the sides are taller which lets the ‘Shields’ be seem more easily. The first bowl was wider with an impressive inside, the out side was more difficult to see below eye level. The new bowl has a deeper scalloped edge. The first bowl is in the works to be produced as a silver plated copper bowl, when that one is done satisfactorily we will have a mold made for this one too.
Over the weekend I started to raise two 5″ disks of copper. I have the urge to make a sugar bowl and creamer. As it turned out the disks were too small for the shape and size I had in mind and I decided to turn the small disks into candy/nut dishes. Here are some progress shots to the point where I am about to start the chasing phase of the work.
I sank the disks into a depression to start and this shot was taken after the second raising. At this point I began to push the bowl on the right out with the hook hammer on a sand bag. The bowl on the left had been intended to be a kind of pedestal saucer before I decided that it too was too small for the intended purpose, so I shifted course and raised it as a bowl. Each of the disks have different diameter bases, it’s just a little behind the bowl that was on a surer path to its final shape.
I’m about half way up from the base of the small diameter bowl in this shot.
The large bowl was raised again and the pair is almost the same height. The larger bowl holds 8 ounces of liquid.
The large bowl was rounded out and I began to draw the chasing design, it is to be a companion to my first wine cup, I’m using the same stencils and layout.
The bottom design has yet to be drawn onto the bowl.
I intend to design the small bowl as a companion to the Lion Cup, that will involve considerable redrawing as the stencils are too tall for this bowl.